Vegan Fat-Free Cauliflower Mac 'n' Cheese
Everybody loves Mac N Cheese... it's a fact. And if you don't, then you're just lying to yourself. It's a cheesy childhood classic that we all grew up with. Whether it came from a box (like mine), or from your Mom's cookbook, it was always something we were excited to dig into. Now after a few quick online articles about nutrition, it's pretty clear that the traditional Mac N Cheese is not very healthy for you (or your waistline, the animals, or the environment). So I did some playing around with a few simple ingredients and came up with a MINDBLOWING, savory, gooey recipe that will make you want to grab seconds...and thirds... and fourths if you're anything like me. Luckily you can have as many servings as your little kid heart desires because this sauce is made from a unlikely childhood not-so-favorite vegetables.... cauliflower. What???! Tastes good and healthy too???!!! Whether you're trying to get the kids to eat their veggies or just throwing some lunch together with a time limit, this is a recipe for you. I really hope you enjoy this and please show me your beautiful creations on Instagram by tagging me at #veganyasmeen and @veganyasmeen !
- 4 cups elbow macaroni or your pasta of choice
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 large carrots, peeled and chopped (or 1/2 cup of baby carrots)
- ½ cup+ nutritional yeast
- unsweetened mylk of choice; as needed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp onion powder ½
- tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- smoked paprika to taste (optional) bread crumbs of choice (optional)
1. Fill a large pot with water, and bring to a boil. Add in the chopped cauliflower and carrots. Cook for 5-10 min, or until softened. Drain, and add to a food processor or high speed blender.
4. Meanwhile, cook and drain your pasta as per package instructions and preheat oven to 375° F (OPTIONAL)
3. Add in spices, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and mylk into your blender and blend until smooth and thick (think Mac n cheese consistency). Adjust and season to taste.
4. Add in macaroni and cheese sauce back into pot and mix together until combined. Oh yes, don't forget to appreciate that mac n cheese porn sound. 😂😂😂
5. (OPTIONAL) Transfer to an oven safe dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and bake for 10-15 min or until golden brown and crunchy on the top. Feel free to skip this step all together but I love the added texture.
6. Plate and Enjoy! xx