Healthy Baked Falafel
This is one of my favorite cooked meals. 😍Falafel is so good I could eat it everyday; but unfortunately it's usually fried and loaded with tons of salt and oil. Luckily for both of us I played around with it for a bit and came up with a super crunchy, delicious baked version! Protein packed and perfectly paired with your favorite grain (mine is quinoa cooked in organic low-sodium veggie broth and rosemary), fresh and steamed veggies, and your favorite sauce or dip like my Oil-Free Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. Let me know if you try this out and tag @veganyasmeen and #veganyasmeen in any photos you post on Instagram! xx
Healthy Vegan Baked Falafel
- 1 bundle fresh parsley (~2 cups chopped)
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 large lemon (~2 1/2 Tbsp juice)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, well rinsed and drained
- 1/4 - 1/2 GF oat flour (ground almonds or walnuts should work too)
- Add parsley, garlic, lemon juice, and seasonings to a food processor and pulse until chopped/combined.
- Add chickpeas and pulse until incorporated but still slightly chunky. You want to maintain a bit of texture.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add oat flour (or nut meal) and mix again until a loose dough is formed that's firm enough to be handled. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added a touch more salt and more cumin (I’m obsessed with cumin).
- Form dough into a ball and separate into two different, equal pieces. Save one in plastic wrap for later (or bake for 2 people) and separate the other one into four small patties.
- Refrigerate or freeze for 15 minutes to firm up. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F in the meantime.
- For a little extra crust on the outside, before baking, heat a pan over medium to medium-high heat and add 2 Tbsp coconut oil. Swirl to coat pan, then add falafel. Carefully flip once golden brown – about 3-4 minutes - and then cook on the other side until golden brown as well - 3-4 more minutes. Return to parchment/foil lined baking sheet to bake. If you want to skip this step, just add them straight to the oven for baking.
- Bake for a total of 30-40 minutes, flipping once at the halfway point for even cooking. The longer you bake them, the firmer they’ll get!
- Serve warm however you desire! Burgers/wraps/with hummus/etc.
Adapted from Minimalist Baker