My Tips For Glowing and Clear Skin
I was always one of those girls who wears a full-face of makeup everywhere. Whether that be the grocery store or even the beach. Ridiculous, I know.. and I always knew but I was so insecure about my skin there wasn't much I could do about it. This past week was the first time I didn't wear foundation to work. THE FIRST TIME. Don't get me wrong, I will always be an eyebrows and mascara kind of girl. Not because I'm insecure but because it makes me feel more confident and feminine. I still wear makeup whenever I feel like it. If I feel like a smokey eye or contoured cheekbones next week I will have fun with it! I've been slowly wearing less and less makeup for the past year of so until I was only wearing foundation to work (because it was just my routine) and photoshoots... until last week! I haven't worn face makeup to work since. I no longer feel insecure about my skin and save so much time getting ready everyday.
My main tips for clear, glowing skin are to:
1. Drink tons of water. I know you probably hear this a lot but seriously! This is the most important thing you can do next to breathing. Make drinking water the first thing you do when you wake up (before eating or drinking anything else). Try to drink as much as you can (aim for a liter/quart). I carry around a quart jar with me and try to fill it up four times a day, so I drink at least a gallon. One before each meal and before going to sleep.
2. Eat lots of raw, nutrient dense, water-rich fruits and vegetables. This is how I cleared my skin! Your skin is your largest organ. When your body detoxes, the last organ it goes through is the skin. That’s why we’re so naturally attracted to a clear, glowing complexion; because it’s a sign of health. Don't complain about your skin if you're going to choose to consume greasy, oily, salty foods filled with animal products and chemicals.
3. Get some sun! Even if you don’t live in a tropical, warm place. Just exposing your face and hands to sun for 20 minutes is the equivalent amount of vitamin D to drinking 13 gallons of milk (without the pus, hormones, casein, and animal cruelty). I always notice my skin looks much better after spending the day in the sun. That being said, stay protected with paraben-free, vegan sunscreen (my absolute favorite is from Sapphire Beach Company).
4. Moisturize! Even if you typically have oily, acne-prone skin never forget to moisturize. Your skin could be producing extra oil to try and moisturize itself which can lead to clogged pores, acne, etc.
5. NEVER go to sleep or work-out with makeup on. This is one of the worst things you can do for your skin (besides consuming greasy, salty, animal product filled foods). My absolute favorite skin products right now are from Zenziva. They’re all completely natural, organic, skin products that are locally made here on Maui! I use the exfoliating facial cleanser after I was off my makeup, the moisturizing oil to moisturize, and chocolate body scrub when I feel like treating myself (try not to eat it haha). It’s hard to find natural, cruelty-free products that work for me and I’m in love with these!
I hope this helped! Comment below if you have any tips of your own! xx